Thursday, December 30, 2010

My View on Fashion

For centuries fashion has evolved from the mammoth skins and the very fashionable saber-toothed tiger skins, to the fluffy, ruffled, Victorian age dresses, to our present day skimpy, tight fitting tees and leg-gripping skinny jeans. Google defines fashion as how something is done or how it happens.  Well, I can counter that with a question --or some questions.  WHO is the person or WHO are the people who define how something is done or how it happens?  HOW is the the decision made that THEY should make these choices?  WHY are they in charge?  If someone has these answers, please let me know ASAP.
In my opinion, the definition of fashion is whatever the consumer feels comfortable wearing.  If you feel comfortable wearing a bathrobe and flip flops, then go ahead and wear them!  People usually wear whatever is 'in fashion" --or whatever everyone else is wearing.  Just because one influential person wears something doesn't mean that the rest of the world should wear it or that this makes those clothes cool.  If everyone jumped off a bridge because it was "cool," would you?  If everyone thought that wearing garbage bags everywhere was "cool," would you do it?
Don't be a follower of fashion magazines defining what's in.  Be a creator of your own fashion.  Why do we think that when a celebrity wears something, that makes it fashionable?  If a celebrity wears a garbage bag...wait, a celebrity did that already.  That was Ke$ha...so, never mind about that one.  But, thankfully, people are not wearing garbage bags now.  But, really people, please use common sense.  If you are comfortable wearing something that you find fashionable without anyone forcing an opinion, then buy it, wear it, and enjoy it.  That's my point of view on the matter.
I am the person who DOES NOT wear skinny jeans.  I am the person who IGNORES what people say I SHOULD wear.  I wear turtlenecks, boot-cut, natural waist jeans, and polo shirts and --did I say?-- NO SKINNY JEANS!  And that's my opinion on fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment