Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Trusting Your Friends

A small blurb on trust.  

Have you ever trusted your friends with a really important secret?  Or you asked them to do something for you and they promised they would?  I think you know where this is going.  
If you find out that they betrayed your trust or anything like that your reaction will be something like this, "I thought you were my friend!  What the heck!  How can I trust you with anything else?"  Here's some advice from me about what to do.  I trusted my friends with something and I freaked out when I found out that they broke their promise.  I was literally shaking when I found out.  I had no idea what to do.  They had an explanation that proved that they were true friends.   Here are a few tips from me when you find out that they broke a promise. 

Levels of being concerned:
How concerned you should be about it:

* level one = Should not be that concerned about it.  Example: Told someone you peed your pants in the second grade.  This is the past.  Doesn't matter.  You were a little kid.  Whatever!

** level two = Mildly concerned.  Example: Spread a rumor about you.  Sensible people know that most rumors are false.  Not many people will go crazy about it.

*** level three = Concerned.  Example: Told your crush you like her.  The girl will probably think 1.) No he doesn't. 2.) If he does, he won't like me after someone said he does.  3.) Just a dumb rumor.  So chances are, guys, everything will turn out ok.  

**** level four = Very concerned.  Example: Told your crush you like him.  Since I'm a girl, I would be very concerned.   

1.)  DO NOT FREAK OUT.
Four simple little words, right?  When I say freak, I mean do not go crying in a corner or shaking in front of the computer screen like you are freezing.  Just act very calmly and assess the situation.  It's a probably a very trivial matter that does not even matter.  

2.)  What's up?
 Ask your friend why they broke the promise they made.  It could be a very sweet reason: I just wanted you to be happy!  Since they wanted you to be happy, they were doing a real nice thing.  They weren't trying to make you upset.  They were only seeing a good outcome not a bad outcome.  If they were mad at you about something.  Talk it through with them.  It could end up being just one big misunderstanding. 

3.)  Think it over.
I said in tip number one, "Assess the situation."  This means: what could that person/people think about it?  Why did they do it?  Why did they break their promise?  Will this affect me that greatly?  Is the world going to end?  What am I going to do after this?  Will this affect my friendship?

4.)  Piece of advice.
If it's a level one thing and you freak out about it.  You will be affecting your friendship with that person more than this thing is affecting you.  Just calm down.  This will not affect you that much!

Basically:  The world is not going to end.  Relax.  You may leave the fallout shelter.  Get a glass of water and go to the movies with your friends.    

My friends:  It was sweet that you guys did that and understand my feelings.  Just next time, please respect my wishes!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment